Academic staff member of the UK’s Institute of Development Studies, University of Kansas, University of Washington and Leiden University before coming to ANU.
Social stratification in China; rural Chinese social, political and economic change; workers and factory life; Chinese nationalism.
- (ed.) Associations and the Chinese State: Contested Spaces. Armonk, M.E. Sharpe, 2008.
- The Transformation of Rural China. Armonk, M.E. Sharpe, 2002.
- The Nature of Chinese Politics from Mao to Jiang. Armonk, M.E. Sharpe, 2000.
- (ed.) Chinese Nationalism. Armonk, M.E. Sharpe, 1996.
- (co-author) Chen Village Under Mao and Deng, University of California Press, 1992.
- Education Under Mao: Class and Competition in Canton Schools, University of Colombia Press, 1982.
Other publications by Professor Unger
Was editor and then co-editor of The China Journal from July 1987 until July 2005. Has published fourteen books and more than fifty refereed papers
The Contemporary China Centre was set up in 1970 at The Australian National University as a research facility concerned with scholarly social science analysis of post-1949 China.